Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Investing In Your Forum
Spice
 Posted: Jun 13 2018, 10:21 AM

Friends
Group: Admin

So you have decided you want a forum. Do you do anything to it to make it more appealing to your members? There are some codes that can make visiting a forum a pleasurable experience for your members.

What are some of the things you do?

I look for a code for scrolling up and down. I really dislike scrolling especially on a huge forum.

There are more but let's see what others have to say.
PMEmail
^
Capt. Cave Man
 Posted: Jun 13 2018, 05:06 PM

Cave Dweller

I try to make a forum easy to navigate, i don't like to many moving images on a board as that slows loading times, i like to have different themes to choose from.

PM
^
Spice
 Posted: Jun 13 2018, 06:55 PM

Friends

Allowing your members to edit their own posts and not having to see that "last edited" every time they make a mistake.
PMEmail
^
Jane
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 02:06 PM

Friends
Group: Friends

Yes I know someone who has that....you HAVE to put the reason why you edited a post. does it matter?
PM
^
Capt. Cave Man
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 05:48 PM

Cave Dweller

It is one of the first things i disable.
PM
^
Dazzal
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 06:25 PM

Friends

I don't like the LAST EDITED and reason either. I am still getting used to Proboards and need to turn that off. I really don't like all of the detail on Proboards, but it's what I chose.
PMEmailWebsite
^
Cory
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 07:32 PM

Friends

QUOTE (Spice @ Jun 13 2018, 09:21 AM)
I look for a code for scrolling up and down. I really dislike scrolling especially on a huge forum.

Good idea, I added this to my board. :)
PMWebsite
^
Psychochipmunk
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 08:14 PM

I'm Me, Your Not..
Group: Graphics Team

I hardly use the scroll up and down buttons, i am just used to scrolling with the mouse.
PMEmail
^
Dazzal
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 08:37 AM

Friends

QUOTE (Dazzal @ Jun 18 2018, 04:25 PM)
I don't like the LAST EDITED and reason either. I am still getting used to Proboards and need to turn that off.  I really don't like all of the detail on Proboards, but it's what I chose.

I was told from other Proboard Owners that you just ignore the EDIT REASON. That's what I do. There doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of it unless I ask support.

I also scroll with the mouse, Sarah.
PMEmailWebsite
^
Spice
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 09:29 AM

Friends

QUOTE (Cory @ Jun 18 2018, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (Spice @ Jun 13 2018, 09:21 AM)

Good idea, I added this to my board. :)

Awesome.
PMEmail
^
Spice
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 09:39 AM

Friends

Try and at least be a little bit original in your forum content. No one wants to go to a forum and see the exact same things verbatim from one forum to the next.
PMEmail
^
Skyon Archer
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 10:04 AM

Keeper of the knowledge . . . all of it!

QUOTE (Dazzal @ Jun 19 2018, 08:37 AM)
I don't like the LAST EDITED and reason either. I am still getting used to Proboards and need to turn that off.  I really don't like all of the detail on Proboards, but it's what I chose.

I was told from other Proboard Owners that you just ignore the EDIT REASON. That's what I do. There doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of it unless I ask support.

To remove Edit Reason on Proboards:

You can go to your Admin Control Panel > Themes > Layout Templates > Forum Wrapper

Before the closing </body> tag, put this:

CODE
       <script>
           $('div.edit_reason').hide();
       </script>

OR . . . you can remove it by going to Admin Control Panel > Themes > Layout Templates > Posting Page and remove the following:

CODE
  {if $[form.updated_reason.input]}
   <div class="edit_reason content-box pad-all-double">
    <label>Edit Reason (optional):</label>
    <div>$[form.updated_reason.input]</div>
   </div>
  {/if}

PMWebsite
^
Beckea
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 01:03 PM

Friends
Location: On a tropical beach, drinking lemonade -- reading a book.

QUOTE (Spice @ Jun 13 2018, 03:55 PM)
Allowing your members to edit their own posts and not having to see that "last edited" every time they make a mistake.

I am creating new themes where I coded where you will not see that but thinking of going back to the others and doing the same. I have it where it will only appear to me. I can understand that why it would be an annoyance.
PMWebsite
^
Beckea
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 01:13 PM

Friends
Location: On a tropical beach, drinking lemonade -- reading a book.

QUOTE (Spice @ Jun 19 2018, 06:39 AM)
Try and at least be a little bit original in your forum content. No one wants to go to a forum and see the exact same things verbatim from one forum to the next.

I try. I don't do games but a lot of my members do. So I have it up. I just don't go in there until to check up on things. I like to have fun polls and questions, and maybe current events.

I love reading and watching classics or old british movies or murder mysteries and discuss those. Lately the movie and tv and book forums are hopping with activity. I am thinking of adding something more. But getting into cooking and baking new stuff so I added a whole section on recipes.

I am branching out so yes I think it is important that you take something different from others and do it. Not copying or anything like that. Like you Spice I go for groups that have something different to offer and if it is a group just GAMES -- I just will say hello. I don't do games.
PMWebsite
^
Jane
 Posted: Jun 19 2018, 03:19 PM

Friends

I have a section on my place for old spooky abandoned places,the underground,that kind of thing, I just find things like that really interesting, I’d love to be one of these urban explorers and go and visit these places. Not alone of course lol. :lol:

I have the usual games,because people seem to like them. I removed the recipe section because it wasnt getting used,so it seemed pointless.

I’m constantly pondering on new ideas. I do have a suggestion section for everyone. If there is ever anything anyone wants added,they only have to ask and it shall be done. :)
PM
^
Spice
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 08:40 AM

Friends

QUOTE (Skyon Archer @ Jun 19 2018, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (Dazzal @ Jun 19 2018, 08:37 AM)

To remove Edit Reason on Proboards:

You can go to your Admin Control Panel > Themes > Layout Templates > Forum Wrapper

Before the closing </body> tag, put this:

CODE
       <script>
           $('div.edit_reason').hide();
       </script>

OR . . . you can remove it by going to Admin Control Panel > Themes > Layout Templates > Posting Page and remove the following:

CODE
   </div>
  {/if}

When I had a proboard and asked about it, they gave me the first code.
PMEmail
^
Dazzal
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 05:05 PM

Friends

CODE
   </div>
  {/if}
[/QUOTE]
When I had a proboard and asked about it, they gave me the first code.[/QUOTE]

That REMOVED IT, thanks Skyon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PMEmailWebsite
^
Dazzal
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 05:13 PM

Friends

QUOTE (Spice @ Jun 19 2018, 07:39 AM)

True, it's hard having a unique board. One person copied how my forums were set up, along with similar images. Another board owner messaged me and said when she went on the other person's board, she thought she was on mine. I don't view it as a compliment. They are copying forum set ups and content. Some content was different.
PMEmailWebsite
^
Spice
 Posted: Yesterday at 09:54 am

Friends

Sadly there isn't much you can do about it Dazzal. I think I saw a post on the support board about a situation similar to yours. Proboards stance is basically tough luck.

You could put something like this on your forum:
Copyright © name of forum and year
All graphics and content are property of name of forum with the exception of content from individual member posts.
Copying or reproducing any content, without explicit permission from rightful owner, is prohibited.
Please obey the rules.
PMEmail
^
Dazzal
 Posted: Yesterday at 10:17 am

Friends

QUOTE (Spice @ Jun 21 2018, 07:54 AM)
Sadly there isn't much you can do about it Dazzal. I think I saw a post on the support board about a situation similar to yours. Proboards stance is basically tough luck.

You could put something like this on your forum:
Copyright © name of forum and year
All graphics and content are property of name of forum with the exception of content from individual member posts.
Copying or reproducing any content, without explicit permission from rightful owner, is prohibited.
Please obey the rules.

I agree Spice, there isn't anything I can do about it. I have it in my GUIDELINES, but many don't even read them. I like your suggestion though. I added it at the bottom of my board and changed the wording a bit. May or may not help but thanks!!!
PMEmailWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply