Insignia by Kman. Find more Kman skin conversions at jCodes.

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules   

Add Reply Create a new Topic

Disasterous Copyright Bill Vote Approved.
magicmuggle01
 Posted: Jun 20 2018, 04:47 PM

magicmuggle01

Group:
Team Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

A committee of MEPs has voted to accept major changes to European copyright law, which experts say could change the nature of the internet.

They voted to approve the controversial article 13, which critics warn could put an end to memes, remixes and other user generated content.

Article 11, requiring online platforms to pay publishers a fee if they linked to their news content, was also approved.

One organisation opposed to the changes called it a Dark Day.

Quoted word for word from the BBC ceefax page on BBC television.
^
Skyon Archer
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 11:14 AM

Keeper of the knowledge . . . all of it!

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

If this does come into law it will disrupt the internet as we know it.

If this passes, I may have to shut down my image hosting site.

Under the potentially meme-killing Article 13, internet platforms would be responsible for automatically censoring and removing any unlicensed content uploaded by users, including videos, photos, source code or music.

Since no end user (you) takes the time to get a license to use an image from it's creator, it will end up being me (the internet platform) that has the burden to censor and remove the said images.

This will be devastating!

My news sites, like News Headquarter may very well be affected too!

Article 11 of the legislation has also come under fire for requiring platforms to pay a licensing fee in order to feature photos and links from online publishers. Opponents have called it a "link tax."

This is bad. Very bad.
^
masodo
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 12:07 PM

Friends

Group:
Friends
Member ID:
Total Post:

Power Grab...

Open Source and Public Domain should have the governing bodies promoting their welfare and survivability.

Internet = Pay to play?

Why not charge internet service providers for delivering all that copyrighted material to our browsers when we do not ask to see it.

Why not have the option to opt-in to viewing copyrighted content and charge content providers for not using open source and/or public domain content.

Why not come up with file formats that are illegal for content creators to use for copyrighted works and internet users can elect to use only those formats.

I guess what I'm getting at is: not everyone that uses the internet does so to get over on celebrities and entertainment types. Why paint with such a broad brush?

Maybe we should look at the whole "When it's created it's copyrighted" approach...
Why not charge companies "protection" money to enforce copyright and anyone who refuses to pay - yet still releases to the internet - is considered releasing to the public domain?

Is the internet itself a "public domain" or a commercial enterprise?

^
Skyon Archer
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 01:00 PM

Keeper of the knowledge . . . all of it!

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

It's all about one thing . . . .

^
Mozzie
 Posted: Jun 27 2018, 06:26 PM

Cave Dweller

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

Pretty much all the graphics we have on your SA are own own , made by us
^
magicmuggle01
 Posted: Jul 3 2018, 11:36 PM

magicmuggle01

Group:
Team Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

I've just thought of a theory that I want to chuck out there for people to think about.

Could this be the big boys on the internet trying to oust the little person like ourselves as far down as possible so we wouldn't be noticed?

It could be my imagination, but what do people think?
^
Mozzie
 Posted: Jul 4 2018, 12:01 AM

Cave Dweller

Group:
Admin
Member ID:
Total Post:

Like a NWO move against the populous to stop communications between one another type thing??
^
magicmuggle01
 Posted: Jul 4 2018, 12:45 AM

magicmuggle01

Group:
Team Members
Member ID:
Total Post:

QUOTE (Mozzie @ Jul 4 2018, 05:01 AM)
Like a NWO move against the populous to stop communications between one another type thing??

Maybe. Or it could be that their a bunch of Poser's and feel they're not getting enough attention.
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Add Reply Create a new Topic